Thursday, October 9, 2008

Heading into the home stretch

With just days to go until October 14th, the campaign is heading into the home stretch with lots more mainstreeting, door knocking and events to attend.

Today I had a very informative tour at the Lafarge Plant in Truro. We toured both the factory and the grounds to view the remediation work that the company is doing to protect the environment, and that of the surrounding areas, from any pollution as a result of the cement making process. These remediation efforts, I was very pleased to see, are considerable.

Area residents have raised concerns in the past about the plant and its operations and it was encouraging to see that the company does take concerns seriously and does its best to comply with Nova Scotia's environmental regulations.

This afternoon I had the pleasure of visiting with seniors in the Truro area at a number of retirement residences. My office gets many calls from seniors seeking help on issues surrounding Old Age Security, Canada Pension and Veterans Benefits, so it has always been important to me that I visit with them to learn about their concerns and how I can help.

Yesterday was a big "Down Shore" day. I did what I call "The Loop" which is Amherst to River Hebert, Joggins, Apple River, Advocate and then along the Parrsoboro Shore through Port Greveille up to Parrsboro and then on to Amherst. I got lots of support wherever I stopped and it was gratifying to see so many of my election signs on people's front lawns.

Need a ride to the Polls?
On election day the polls are open from 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. There will be a team of volunteer drivers available to give those needing transportation a drive to their polling station.
Voters in the Truro area can call the campaign office at 902-897-4259 for a drive to the polls.
In Amherst voters can call 902-667-8607. Springhill/Oxford residents can call 902-597-3464 or 597-8450 and residents in Parrsboro needing a drive can call 902-254-3180

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The extremes you will go for media headlines......I hope the good people of CCMV catch on to you before it's too late.

Anonymous said...

Billie, you are not looking well, don't push yourself too hard, I need you to be acting leader in the house.....

Anonymous said...

If I were still living in this riding I would be voting for Mr. Casey. After standing for what is best for his province, who wouldn't vote for him? If only 1/2 of the MPs were like Mr. Casey.

Best of luck to Casey and his team tomorrow, but as I drove through Truro today I saw all the signs. My luck is not needed, Casey is in.

-Kelly