Wednesday, October 15, 2008

This was a people's win!

I won't rehash the numbers from last night, but I will say that they support something a constituent told me during the campaign. "If the MP stands up for the people, the people will stand up for the MP."

I want to thank everyone who worked on the campaign and everyone who voted for me. This really was the people's campaign. There was no party involved and each person made the decision to support me on an individual basis. That makes the win mean that much more to me and my family.

During the campaign I got a lot of feedback from voters, many of whom had never gotten involved in politics before, or for that matter, voted. Several comments stick out in my mind including one from someone who said ,"You represent us to Ottawa and not Ottawa to us." I thought it was a good observation as it is how I have always thought of my role as an MP.

Today was business as usual in my offices, with my staff working on resolving issues for constituents, a matter of practice that will never change as long as I am the MP. If you need help resolving a federal issue, please call my office in the riding at 902-667-8679 or 902-893-2455 or 1-800-752-0552 (toll free). If you would like to speak to the office in Ottawa, the number is 613-992-3366.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When will you get it through your head- This isn't about you....The people are the losers and time will show this.

Patrick Ross said...

I disagree wholeheartedly with anonymous, and share some bemusement with his ability to miss the point.

Yes, this wasn't about Bill Casey. This was about the people of Cumberland-Colchester-Musquodoboit Valley voting for the candidate they feel best stood up for them.

A loser would turn right around and vote for an MP who voted against their interests. Voters with any shred of dignity and pride won't stand for it.

Fortunately, the people of Cumberland-Colchester-Musquodoboit Valley weren't put in that position.

Every riding in this country should be so fortunate.