Friday, September 26, 2008

The real deal on being and Independent MP

The issue of my status as an Independent MP often comes up at the door when visiting constituents and often they ask how just one person manages to do the job.

To set their minds at ease I like to point out that no MP is a paid employee of their party, but each and every one is an employee of the House of Commons with the same salary, the same office budget for staff, the same access to research, the same office equipment and same access to government officials. This often surprises them as they have been led to believe that Independent MPs get nothing.

The truth of the matter is, I have three staffers in Ottawa and one in Cumberland County and one in Colchester, just as it has been for the past 20 years. They are full-time jobs and they did not disappear when I became an Independent in 2007.

As it has been all along, my office does much of its own research on the issues and makes full use of the services of the Library of Parliament, which offers research resources for every MP. I have never been fond of party speaking points on issues and have always preferred to have my own research on an issue to get a better understanding. My office probably does more research than many other MP's offices.

As with MPs belonging to a political party, I have an opportunity to stand up in Question Period and ask a question, more so than when I was a member a party. The Speaker of the House allots two spaces a week for Independent MPs to ask questions and since there are so few of us, I usually get to ask the government a question every other week. Back-bench MPs can't say the same since it is the party who decides who will ask the questions and it is usually the critic or the leader.

In addition to asking questions in the House, like every other MP I can and do often ask questions on the order paper on issues my constituents have raised with me. My office staff also use Access to Information to get answers when all other routes have thrown up road blocks. I have put forward Private Member's motions and Bills and will continue to do so.

As an Independent, I can and have, cast a vote that denied a motion unanimous consent.

I have got a busy weekend coming up. Be sure to check my calendar for the list of events and I hope to see you in my travels in Cumberland Colchester Musquodoboit Valley.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, now we know you can research and vote. But what can you deliver for the people- nothing. A vote for you is a vote for opposition. Good luck with that. This region needs someone who is on the good side of government- not out in the cold.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to keep on being an opposition member," the fifth-term MP said Thursday when asked if he planned to run as an independent in the next election.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=8ae97047-6aa6-46b7-9023-661b6aae605c

We need an MP who will be a member of government. You running is self serving and simply selfish. You are not doing what is good for the people, just what is good for you.

Anonymous said...

Billy,

No signs pounded into trees- Shame Shame. What kind of example is that for our honorary Green to set.

Lizziemae

Anonymous said...

Guess anonymous doesn't know that the Nova Scotia Agriculture College got $6 million in research funding from the Government of Canada since June 2007 or the over 140 student jobs in the riding this past summer. Wow that is a lot of nothing!!

Anonymous said...

Good luck getting anything in the next 4 years. How selfish can one man be. Bill is on a ego trip that will cause all of us to lose. Shame..

And $6 million is a drop in the bucket as to what we would get if Bill is retired by the people.

Anonymous said...

I just watched Mr Casey on CPAC and found him to be a very well spoken intelligent man who truly cares and works for his community. I am amazed at the negative messages on here as Mr Casey is an example of what all our MP's should represent - the people who elect them. He is now free to truly represent his constituents which can't be said for the the members of the conservative party- the only person who matters in that party is their leader and their message not the people who they are to represent. I wish i had the opportunity to cast a vote for Mr. Casey but i can only send best wishes!